Visual Dictionary Online


Powered by

equipment [1]click to hear

Collective term for the materials, instruments and tools used for engraving and printing.
equipment [1] mallet U-shaped gouge V-shaped gouge chisel block cutter knife

mallet click to hear

Hammer used to strike the heel of a sharp tool to drive it into wood.

U-shaped gouge click to hear

Sharp U-shaped chisel used to remove areas to create large blank spaces.

V-shaped gouge click to hear

Sharp V-shaped chisel used to dig deep angular grooves and to remove areas to create smaller blank spaces.

chisel click to hear

Sharp tool with a flat beveled blade used for engraving wood in the grain direction; it removes areas to create blank space around the figure and smoothes out the background.

block cutter click to hear

Chisel with a beveled point used in engraving to achieve subtleties of line; it was once used on copper but is now used mainly on wood.

knife click to hear

Tool used for engraving in the grain direction of the wood; it brings out the figure by means of incisions.